Cachagua Community Park is a 14-acre park located in the Cachagua area of Carmel Valley. A tiny jewel in the upper Carmel Valley overlooking the Carmel River, the park is a great place for a picnic, game of horseshoes or horseback ride. Artifacts of the Native American Esselen people may also be found in the park.
The origin of the name “Cachagua” is uncertain, however, its use goes back to the 1850’s with the spelling, “Jassagua”, which likely has native Esselen or Spanish influences. The Esselen were well established in the area called “Xasáuan, with several villages circa 1750. The present day settlement was established in the 1880’s and remains to this day a remote and ruggedly independent community.
ADDITIONAL PARKS & PRESERVES
Blomquist Open Space Preserve (no public access)
San Clemente-Blue Rock Open Space (no public access)
The Cachagua Community Park is open to all, with no access permit requirement. The Cachagua Community Center Board of Directors is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the park, under a lease agreement with the District. Please contact the Cachagua Community Center for more information.
Cachagua Community Center: PO Box 512, Carmel Valley, CA 93924
Cachagua Community Center is 9 miles south of Carmel Valley Village, off Cachagua Road (5.8 miles), on to Nason Road, through Princes Camp.